- Theft of photos and images – we protect photographers, photo agencies and shop owners
- Online theft of photos and images are increasing
- Consistent and measured legal action
- Merchant also take a stand against the theft of product photos
- Attorneys protect rights owners and obtain compensation for damages for copyright law violations
Theft of photos and images – we protect photographers, photo agencies and shop owners
Photographs are protected – there can be no dispute about this. However, frequently the rights owners are not only missing the correct tools but also the awareness needed to stand up against clear violations of their rights, for asking for an injunction and demanding compensation for damages.
Online theft of photos and images are increasing
In recent years, the internet has made the violation of rights easier to engage in than ever before while it becomes increasingly harder to pursue these violations. The careless uploading and distribution of photos, also referred to as photo theft, is a mass phenomenon that is a collective copyright violation and almost impossible to get under control.
Consistent and measured legal action
It is important to keep a sense of proportion when asserting clear legal positions. It is not necessary to use the warning letter bludgeon at all times and in all situations – for example, against individual bloggers and small merchants. Settling amicably with a previous infringer will often put the photographer in a good light. It is said that friendships have arisen out of an initially hostile situation. There are also cases in which taking a courageous stand for one’s own rights is not only worth it, but must, in fact, be a part of the strategy to protect property and create sustainable value.
LHR obtains a record sum for a client: Photographer receives 14,000 € in damage compensation due to his omission as the creator within a Creative Commons license
LHR, acting as the legal defense in a case on photographic rights, was able to obtain compensation for damages in the record amount of €14,000.
Because the photograph was illegally used on several pages, the damage compensation to be paid increased to nearly €20,000. Following proceedings, we were able to agree with the infringing party on a single payment of €14,000.
Merchant also take a stand against the theft of product photos
The theft of photos and images is especially upsetting for online merchants. Not only do they have to observe how competitors market similar or even identical products, but they also witness their own time-consuming and costly product images being brazenly used by competitors.
Attorneys protect rights owners and obtain compensation for damages for copyright law violations
Creators can effectively defend themselves against infringements to their photographic rights and demand compensation. By using appropriate means, you actively protect yourself and
- reliably track down rights violations with professional image search engines,
- prevent the continued illegal distribution of your photos,
- are compensated for damages incurred and
- show that you can defend yourself against future attacks.
The injuring party is not only liable for the attorney fees but will generally also have to pay an appropriate compensation.
LHR resolutely and creatively prosecutes the theft of photographs and images and uses the experience gained from over 5,000 successful instances of rights protection.
- LHR protects you against attacks on your photos
- LHR defends your claims following the theft of photos or images
- LHR determines the scope of the rights violation by using professional image search engines
- LHR locates the guilty parties and confronts them with the consequences of their actions both in judicial and extra-judicial proceedings
- LHR ensures that there is a suitable compensation
Arno Lampmann, founder of the firm, partner and specialist attorney for industrial property protection: “When businesses clearly seek to profit from someone else’s intellectual property, there is no reason not to assert one’s rights as forcefully as possible – which is what we do for our clients.”